One of Hudson’s first prominent entrepreneurs was Captain John B. Page (1800-1865). Captain Page, a retired sea captain who had lumbered in Maine and Michigan, hailed from Maine. He came to the St. Croix Valley in the early 1840s and had a crew of loggers at work near St. Croix
The southeast corner of Second and Locust Streets has a long history as a drug store. First to occupy the site was Dr. William F. Cavin, an early Hudson physician, who dispensed prescriptions and medicines in conjunction with his practice. Dr. Cavin was succeeded in the drug dispensing business by
In 1854 and 1855, The Hudson North Star published a column describing the community’s proposal of a new school. Soon after, the first schoolhouse was constructed in the Second Ward on the west side of Sixth Street, between the streets of Vine and Locust. This school was the first structure
The first meeting of the county board of the present St. Croix County was on September 9, 1848 and as there was no courthouse, the session was held at the residence of Philip Aldrich which stood on the land at the northeast corner of Second and Elm Streets. This house
The following biography of Judge Humphrey is from the 1882 publication The Bench and Bar Wisconsin, History and Biography. Herman L. Humphrey, Hudson, was born at Candor, Tioga county, New York, March 14, 1830. His education was in the public schools with the addition of one year in Cortland Academy. At
A steeply pitched roof, arched windows, and decorated bargeboards mark the telltale signs of Gothic Revival architecture. This unique form of architecture was never as popular as the Italianate or Greek Revival styles in St. Croix County, but we do hold some of the most beautiful examples. Gothic architecture is most
In the late 1800s and early 1900s a now illegal practice was once quite common – requiring capable institutionalized patients to work on asylum grounds. St. Croix County was not foreign to this idea; the St. Croix County Asylum operated a 667 acre farm that was run by its patients.
St. Croix County in 1840 was over ten times larger than it is today. The county used to encompass as far south as Prescott and as far north as Canada. Early French explorers, traders, and missionaries traveled throughout the region in as early as the 1600s. They interacted with